Health Care & Wellness
Senior Health Care Services in Hanover, New Hampshire
At Wheelock Terrace in Hanover, New Hampshire, we offer exceptional senior health care services and personal care, whether seniors need assisted living, memory care, or short-term stays. Residents and their families appreciate that we offer more affordable and reliable comprehensive senior care than hiring senior home care or home health care agencies to provide comparable levels of service.
To promote health and well-being, each senior receives a personalized health care assessment on a regular basis. Our competent and diligent staff uses these assessments to develop a senior care plan that fits each senior’s individual needs for prescription management, diet, exercise, medical care and personal care such as dressing, grooming and bathing. (Also see Living & Care Options.)
Senior health care service options include:
- Nursing care, such as post-surgical and post-hospital support.
- Expert management and administration of medications to assure they are taken as prescribed, as well as management of pharmacist services and deliveries.
- Coordination of physician services as needed, such as scheduling of doctor appointments and provision of transportation to them, or the option of convenient in-house visits with care providers whose specialties include primary care, podiatry, and geriatric psychiatry.
- Coordination of rehabilitative therapy services as needed, including the options of regular in-house therapy services with our well respected provider Genesis Rehabilitation, or off-site appointments.
- Memory Care Program and Special Care Program.
- Working with families and hospice care providers to ensure that residents receive any specialized end-of-life care that may be needed for their comfort.
At Wheelock Terrace, the knowledgeable and compassionate staff of Health Service Directors, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Resident Assistants are proud to offer our residents the highest quality of senior care and health care services each day as needed.
Residents and their families are also pleased to know that most of our care staff receives training in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and the use of our Automated External Defibrillator (AED) in preparation for medical emergencies.
Area Medical Care
Our community is also conveniently located just one mile from the world-class medical care at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, three miles from Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital, and seven miles to the Veterans Administration Hospital.
Health & Wellness: An Integrated Approach to Wellbeing
Because research shows benefits for healthful aging, we plan our programs to support wellbeing through an integrated mind-body-spirit approach to health and wellness. In addition to health care, our health and wellness approach combines physical activity, mental stimulation, nutrition, socialization, and spiritual fulfillment as follows:
Physical activity supports heart, muscular and skeletal strength and supplies oxygenated blood to the brain, supporting cognitive health.
Mental stimulation helps develop and maintain cellular connections in the brain and defend against neurodegenerative conditions.
Nutrition is important in combating the effects of aging. For example, foods such as salmon, fish oil and walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids that support brain and heart health, while foods like blueberries, broccoli, green tea and chocolate are rich in antioxidants that help defend against cancers and the impact of damaging agents (free radicals) on the brain.
Socialization is very important to keeping people happy and stimulated, which in turn supports health, cognitive function, and even longevity, according to some studies.
Spiritual fulfillment and being part of a community are also shown to help reduce stress and contribute to health, happiness and longevity.
Using these core principles, we seek to promote wellbeing so that each resident experiences a quality of life that makes each day enjoyable.